Progressive Reviews and Ratings
- Customer satisfaction is average
- Progressive insurance gets less complaints than other companies
- More management options for tech-savvy consumers
Progressive may be best known for its car insurance coverage, despite that it offers insurance for almost anything that contains a motor. Progressive is the United States’ 3rd largest provider of automobile insurance. Other options include home, life, and renter’s insurance through third-parties.
Progressive Insurance Details
CCIO Rating: 4/5 Stars Progressive is 19th on our list of best car insurance providers. They have earned 3.5 out of 5 available stars. Our Score is based on the following:
- J.D. Power ratings for servicing customers, their satisfaction from filing claims, and satisfaction from shopping
- Consumer Reports on customer satisfaction
- The number of complaints from the consumer against Nationwide, from data collected by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC)
Progressive auto insurance coverage options
Progressive offers the normal automobile insurance choices, and many add-ons. Depending on the state you live in, the following could be options:
- Roadside assistance: This will help pay for help if you are stuck on the side of the road and need help (ran out of gas, automobile breaks down, dead battery, locked out, etc.)
- Gap insurance: With this option, Progressive will pay a maximum of 25% more than the value of your automobile if it gets totaled, to cover your lease or loan balance.
- Value of your custom parts and equipment: This pays to fix or completely replace your custom parts that you added to your car.
- Pet injury protection: This is included if you have collision coverage. It will pay the bills at the vet if your pet is hurt from a car accident.
- Deductible savings bank: This applies if you have their comprehensive and collision policy. You can choose to opt out of this. Every 6 months that you don’t file a claim, your deductible drops by $50, until you reach $0.
Snapshot is a free program into which you can choose to join. It will gather information based on your driving behavior such as speed, how often you drive, and the times of day you do so. Progressive uses its sole discretion to raise or lower your rates when you renew your policy. You will get a discount just for signing up, automatically. The data can be gathered both with the device you can plug into your car or the mobile app. Rideshare: This is available in 32 U.S. states (see below) as well as D.C. for people who drive for ride-hailing platforms like Uber and Lyft. The insurance provided by those platforms normally just cover the driver’s vehicle when they are transporting a passenger. Progressive insures regardless of whether you are transporting a passenger or not. It is an expansion of their car insurance policy.
Progressive’s Other Insurance:
As well as automobile insurance, you buy get the following types of policies directly:
|Progressive Insurance Policies|
Progressive offers more policies through third parties. You can receive a quote and sign up for those policies through Progressive, however. If you combine the insurance policies, you can be eligible for a discount on your current Progressive policy. Other types of insurance are as follows:
|Third-party via Progressive|
|Condo||Wedding and event|
|Life||Insurance for driving in Mexico|
Strength of Progressive’s Finances: A+ (SUPERIOR)
Progressive’s financial strength is considered “superior” based on data collected by A. M. Best. This is important because this shows the level of confidence that a consumer should have when they file a claim that it will be paid out. Consumer Complaints Progressive has less than the average number of complaints by the consumer against an insurer of about the same size in 2018, according to the NAIC.
Satisfaction of Their Customers
In surveys done by Consumer Reports, Progressive does not do well, but they are average in studies conducted by J.D. Power.
|2018 J.D. Power Study||Progressive’s Ranking|
|Insurance Shopping (Auto)||~ average|
|Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction||~ average|
More On Progressive
Progressive’s Website: Their site has a tool that you can use to get a quote and an area where you can log in, pay your bills, and see the status of your claims at any time. Other features include:
- The Name Your Price: This is a tool that helps you to find a policy that will fit your budget best. The lower price can sometimes cost more coverage.
- A Comparison Feature: This will show Progressive’s competitors’ prices for the same policy so you can make the most informed decision.
- Financing Resources for Your Automobile: This will allow you to obtain a quote for an automobile loan or refinancing quote from Progressive’s partner, Capital One.
Progressive Mobile Application: Progressive’s flagship app that is available for smartphones will let you file a claim and find repair service centers.
Snapshot mobile app: This application is different from the one above. This is the one that you use to monitor your driving behavior if you choose not to use their device into your car. It will also include some tips on driving safer. However, it is not available in every state (see map above).
Virtual assistance: You may like this feature if you have a Google Home. You can use your device to ask Progressive’s virtual assistant different insurance questions. You can also contact through Facebook Messenger to get a quote from their Chatbot, named “Flo”, or you could ask insurance-related questions.